Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

I'm not sure we will be able to reach a consensus on this, but my vote
would be for this point.

I'm not completely persuaded this is correct. Someone should explain
why an existing contributor does not concentrate his/her efforts on
the choosen project instead of wasting time in other tasks, and
why a new contributor should not do that. I think it is a management
problem, not a choice of contributors.

I partly agree here.  For instance it might be hard to find out a
reasonable task that fits the skills and interests of the student
out of the pure description if he is not involved in Debian before.
I would not have a big problem if a non-DD (well, I agree that DDs
should rather work as mentor instead as students) takes over a job
in Debian that was started before but does not approach as it should
be because people are occupied by other things.  I would regard
GSoC as a reasonable means to stress the tasks we would really
like to have done and encourage people to tackle them.

Did I missed something?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--