Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:56:40AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> [2008.02.26.0936 +0100]:
> > What about a bug... Bugs are our "pets" : we take care of them.
>
> I guess I just repeat myself when I question why we need to join the
> free software zoo. Is it hip? Are we hip? What's the gain? Why
> bother?

The question is: Why not?

Okay, it doesn't have to be an animal (it could also be an insect, a
fantasy creature, etc.) but consider that having something like that has
a good haptic effect. From a marketing point of view its a really great
idea, because it betters the recognition of Debian. Consider that people
like it. I'm quiet sure, that if we'd ask the sellers of such floss
animals they would tell us that these floss animals are popular demanded
items. And hey, don't you have a penguin or something like that in the
near of your computer or its peripherals? Well, I do.

> A fluffy pillow with a swirl on it sounds like a good idea, for when
> you're feeling down and need some FOSS lovin'.

Oh.. okay.. a fluffy pillow ... for FOSS lovin'.. is okay, but - well
don't let me think about this :-)

> A fluff animal, on the other hand, is for kids. Debian is not.

No it is not. Or would you really say that the recognition of FreeBSD is
the one of a kids toy? And btw. we _do_ target kids as well. For them a
nice fluffy animal seriously highers their interest in Debian.

BTW. just for the records: I do not advocate for a logo replacement. It
is fine as it is. But certainly a mascot can be a good supplement to a
good logo.

Best Regards,
Patrick