Re: conditional dependency?

This one time, at band camp, Julien Cristau said:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:48:21 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
>
> > Although not very probably, until now Debian used to support static linking
> > (libdev packages provide .a files, and depend on libdev packages that
> > provide dependent .a files).
>
> That's not true, afaik.  If you're linking statically, you have to
> figure out dependencies on your own.

I really hope that's not true.  There are many useful use cases for
static linking when you're building for constrained or otherwise not
quite sane environments that IMHO we should continue to support.  Since
in the main it's not that hard to do the right thing, it's also of
limited value to discourage it.