Re: Practical solutions to: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:03:01PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > If there are sets of usertags which are in common use by a reasonable
> > number of diverse packages, and are something that would normally be
> > put on the foopkg@packages.debian.org user (that is to say, make them
> > visible by default) then file a bug against bugs.debian.org askiing
> > for that tag to be made a real tag.
> >
> > That's the best way to standardize usertags which are currently not
> > bts-wide tags.
>
> Ack on the general principle.
>
> However, the need which was pointed out to seemed to me more than a
> tag: in my head it was distilled as "priority", as available in
> other bug tracking systems. This is something that can be encoded
> with usertags, but such an encoding does not have good properties
> such as mutual exclusion of alternative priorities.

It almost sounds like you want a user setable severity-like field.
That could be implemented, but the problem is that it's far less
flexible than usertags because it would only have a single value.

In fact, assuming the assignment to usercategories was done properly,
it wouldn't matter if a bug had multiple "priority" tags, as a bug
that had the higest tag would be separated from the other tags even if
it still had a lower tag.

See

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=debbugs;users=don@debian.org

for an example of my segregation of the debbugs package.

Don Armstrong

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
research.