Re: How to cope with patches sanely

Le Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:08:23AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :

>         That is not the case when using featrure branches, the NMUer can
>  get the information they need.
>
>         But if you are a security NMUer, you have a short time frame,

Hi all,

actually, we as packagers have wrote a lot of statements a lot in the
name of NMUers and the security team, but in fact independant opinions
of NMUers have not been read often in this thread, nor from the security
team about what they expect from source packages. Therefore we can all
be plain wrong, as we have no evidence that NMUers want what we are
arguing for: stack of patches and/or link to a fully version-controlled
source tree.

The only thing that seems to make a consensus is that when people have
to modify a package that they have not created, and that it uses a patch
management system, they waste time trying to figure out what is the
debian/rules target to patch the source tree. Changing this would need
to modify two or three packages out of dpatch, quilt, and cdbs, and
unfortunately only the maintainers of quilt package have expressed
interest in a standardisation.

Therefore we did not make progress since the beginning of the
discussion:

- The most efficient way to deal with changes to the sources for the
  packager is to use his preferred tools.
- We do not know if the whole concept of breaking up the monolithic diff
  into logical units is something that the persons who often do NMUs in
  Debian are intersted in.
- When modifying a package that uses dpatch, quilt or simple-patchsys,
  developpers have to find out by themselves if the target for patching
  the sources is patch, apply-patches or apply-dpatches.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org