Re: ITP: ASTK -- Code_Aster build/control system and front-end

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 05:07:20PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Package name: astk

Why is it called astk? I can't find an astk tarball on the
www.code-aster.org site.

> Version: 1.5.5
> Author: EDF (Electricite de France) R&D
> License: GPL

Don't repeat the name of the package in the short description. Also,
what is it a system and front end for? That is unclear from the
description.

> ASTK is a client-server front-end for the Code_Aster finite element
> software (a.k.a. aster), as well as a build system used by Code_Aster
> and Homard.

It is unclear to me what this software can do. Can I generate finite
element models with it? Or is it just a way to start simulations on a
backend? Can I view models, or meshes, or results of calculations? What
kind of finite elements are supported? If this is a frontend, is the
backend also packaged for Debian?

What is Homard?

> The client is written in Tcl, and the server and build system in
> python.

I think it doesn't matter what language these tools are written in, as
long as they do whay they're supposed to do. So this is not useful
information for the long description. Use the debtags system instead for
these kinds of annotations.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>