Re: Lintian over sensitivity?

On ke, 2008-02-20 at 18:44 +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> > Fakeroot-ng is copyrighted (C) 2007-2008 by Shachar Shemesh
..
> Changing the line to read:
> > Copyright (C) 2007-2008 by Shachar Shemesh
> pacifies lintian, but I still think this is over sensitivity on its behalf.

I am not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that in most parts of the
world, you have to actually use the word "Copyright" (or one of the
alternatives lintian lists), for a strictly valid copyright statement.
The "copyrighted" you use is not, strictly speaking, the right form.

However, I doubt it is going to cause actual problems, so if that's what
you want to stick with, then for all I care, go ahead. You can use a
lintian override to shut it up.

I think it would be inadvisable to relax lintian's pattern matching,
since the stricter forms are certainly acceptable and the more relaxed
forms may or may not be. In the interest of correctness in front of a
judge, being stricter is better.

(Personally, I would change the debian/copyright file instead of using
an override.)