Re: Proposed MBF: Debian upstream version higher than watch file-reported upstream version

Wesley J. Landaker wrote:

> On Sunday 17 February 2008 13:41:34 Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> If nobody objects I'll start filling (in an automated way since there are
>> no false positives) reports on the 307 source packages which report a
>> Debian upstream version higher than Upstream version by the watch file.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "there are no false positives". My ghdl
> package you mention is a false positive, for one.

Please refer to my note:
> Please note that this situation often occurs when the maintainer didn't
make
> the watch file strip some +VCSrevNNNNN that was added to the Debian
Version.

package|Debian Version |upstream version|Debian upstream version
ghdl|0.26+gcc4.1.2~dfsg-2|0.26|0.26+gcc4.1.2

Comparing the upstream version and the Debian upstream version will,
correctly, say that the latter is higher (in other words: it isn't a false
positive, the Debian upstream version _IS_ higher than upstream).
Please also note that as explained on[1] DEHS is additionally
stripping 'dfsg', 'debian', and 'ds' from the Debian Version, which is
something IMHO must be done (and I'm of the opinion that DEHS should not do
that but let uscan and the watch file do it, hence my RFC of a version=4
watch file format I'll soon be sending to -devel).

[1]http://wiki.debian.org/DEHS (section 'Debian repackaging (a.k.a. trust
what uscan says)')