Re: Meaning of the "Altering package upload rules"

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:07:22PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I never saw the point of binaries+source uploads where you throw away the
> binaries. The only point of this is to force DDs to check that the
> package actually builds. If some DDs upload stuff that they don't know
> to work, that's a social issue, not a technical one.

Indeed it is the only point. It is social, the technical "solution" of
ensuring .debs are actually there is just an attempt to diminish its
impact.  Instead of "throwing them away", since we are all using tools
such as dput and dupload, just having those tools check the .debs are
there, performing some basic sanity checks on them, and then avoiding
their upload would probably achieve the same effect.

But of course, this was not the main point of my post. It was rather
against the current situation of treating specially some architecture
only because it is the one owned by a DD.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/