Re: Proposition: 'NMU' upload of wxwidgets 2.8

[for some previous context please see the thread starting at
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/12/msg00520.html]

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 14:19:27 -0800 Steve Langasek wrote:

> Currently, the packages that are asking for wx2.8 are almost all available
> and releasable in earlier versions, built against wx2.6.  Uploading wx2.8 to
> unstable implies that it's suitable for apps to build against, which by all
> accounts it is not.

 As a somewhat interested person, could I please enquire about the sources
of these accounts? As far as we (wxWidgets developers) are concerned, wx2.8
is miles ahead of 2.6 and, while any non-trivial software package has bugs
and wx2.8 is no exception, is certainly not more buggy than 2.6. Moreover
the only claims to the contrary which I've ever seen came (indirectly) from
Ron Lee and we believe that he is purposefully sabotaging the inclusion of
wx in Debian as a kind of revenge for being excluded from wxWidgets
development team. So, once again, if there are any real reasons preventing
wx2.8 from being included in Debian I'd really appreciate if somebody could
finally point them out to us -- and I can promise that we'll do our best to
fix them.

 And, seeing from your signature that you're both a Debian and Ubuntu
developer, I'd like to notice that Ubuntu doesn't seem to find anything
catastrophic with shipping wx2.8 which it does since quite some time. Of
course, maybe Ubuntu is wrong and Debian maintainer is correct and there
are horrible bugs in wx2.8 -- except we've never heard about them, as much
as we'd like to. So if you have any information about the details of the
accounts you mentioned, could you please post it here, to wx-dev@
lists.wxwidgets.org or me privately, as you prefer? But saying that
"by all accounts wx2.8 is unsuitable" without any supporting arguments is
just not very helpful.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ