Re: dash bug which is affecting release goal

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:19:15PM -0500, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> > > Yes, that's right.

> > > I think the idea of making dash the default /bin/sh is sure to be a
> > > disaster.  But I have no power in that regard.  I can only hope I'm
> > > wrong.

> > FYI Ubuntu already made the switch some time ago and they have all of the
> > packages from unstable + some more.
> > By filling bug reports I try to reduce the impact of making the move that in
> > theory should be more than safe (except for two or three known bugs on
> > dash).

> I think you're ignoring Mike Bird's concern.  What about custom scripts,
> non-Debian things, user-written scripts, etc.?

So we should also never upgrade /usr/bin/python, /usr/bin/perl, or
/usr/bin/gcc to point at a new upstream version because users may have local
programs that assume particular non-standard behavior from these programs,
right?

Otherwise, why should we be fretting over users who assume that /bin/sh ==
/bin/bash, when we've never promised anything of the sort?