Re: List of packages shipping shell scripts with bashisms + MBF proposal

Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> Pure POSIX doesn't allow signal numbers, but the XSI extension to POSIX
>> does and dash and posh both support them.  We do not, in general,
>> accept XSI extensions, but it's hard to argue strongly for excluding a
>> feature that even posh supports.

> Is there a good reason that we do not in general accept XSI extensions?
> The ones that I've noticed while reading SUSv3 are features that I
> expect a normal Unix system to have.

I don't remember exactly which ones there were, but when I did some more
comprehensive research a while back, there were several major ones that
weren't supported by dash.  Since one of the practical points for this
whole exercise is to let people use dash as /bin/sh, since it can be much
faster, that seemed like a good argument against it.