Re: How to cope with patches sanely --> Debian New Maintainers'

Hi Pierre,

(BTW. there is no need to CC me with your answers, I did not ask for
that as I am subscribed to the list :-)

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 12:50:46AM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   quilt is way more powerful to refresh patches when a new upstream
> occurs. It does what it can do best without having mergeing features,
> that only an advanced SCM can provide anyways.

That does mean quilt is able to refresh patches on upstream changes, so
that with luck the maintainer does not have to refresh the patches for
changes sources himself? That would be quiet nice, however I still fail
to see why this is a reason to prefer quilts *format* as an *exchange
format* if quilt itself is not to be used, which is what you say.

>   And while being powerful, it remains simple, which dpatch is not.

dpatch is not simple? When refreshing patches or overall? As a dpatch
user I cannot really confirm this. Different to that I tried to work
into quilt these days and it seems to be way more complicated (and needs
some setup before working for debian packaging at all, which dpatch does
not need).

Best Regards,
Patrick