Re: Proposition: 'NMU' upload of wxwidgets 2.8

Steve Langasek <vorlon <at> debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:06:22PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Well, if we advise users to compile their stuff on their own
> > something is broken.  If we can not provide the latest upstream
> > version of a certain end user application because we are missing
> > some underlying libraries (for whatever reason) we IMHO failed
> > in supporting our users.

Fully agreed.

> Currently, the packages that are asking for wx2.8 are almost all available
> and releasable in earlier versions, built against wx2.6.  Uploading wx2.8 to
> unstable implies that it's suitable for apps to build against, which by all
> accounts it is not.

Wearing a Debian 'user' as well as 'developer' hat, I was stopped in the tracks
a few days ago when I tried to look at some C/c++ IDE (code::blocks) which would
not configure on my testing box due to a lack of wxWidgets 2.8.

Not nice at all.  I can typically rely on Debian for having recent and common
software. In this case, Ubuntu won.

Dirk