Re: Proposition: 'NMU' upload of wxwidgets 2.8

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:06:22PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Kevin Rosenberg wrote:

>> I think that's contention, the difference in opinion between the
>> package maintainer and some users about what software Debian should
>> provide.

> Well, if we advise users to compile their stuff on their own
> something is broken.  If we can not provide the latest upstream
> version of a certain end user application because we are missing
> some underlying libraries (for whatever reason) we IMHO failed
> in supporting our users.

I absolutely do not agree that this is a hard rule.  If the libraries are
unsupportable, it is a disservice to our users to pretend that we are
supporting them by including them in a release.

Currently, the packages that are asking for wx2.8 are almost all available
and releasable in earlier versions, built against wx2.6.  Uploading wx2.8 to
unstable implies that it's suitable for apps to build against, which by all
accounts it is not.