Re: Proposition: 'NMU' upload of wxwidgets 2.8

On Feb 3, 2008 4:13 AM, Kevin Rosenberg <kevin@rosenberg.net> wrote:

> I see an "other option" and it is straightforward. Do like what was
> done in lenny with wxwidget2.4 and my package ctsim which requires
> wxwidgets 2.4. They were removed from Debian testing and it's not a
> problem. Simply download, compile, and install the library and
> application yourself and don't rely on Debian for your every need.

While that is trivial for one, two or five packages to do, this approach
will, at some point, lead to exactly the mess a packaged distribution
with dependency awareness is meant to avoid.

I do not know why you think your approach is better, safer or more user
friendly than simply typing

  apt-get install ctsim

and having both ctsim and a 2.4 version of wxwidgets installed.

Best regards,
Richard