Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2008.01.27.0133 +1100]:
> include this sort of cruft. If patch systems must stay around,
> I would be happy if somebody could design and write a standard
> wrapper that could figure out the differences automatically, and
> get it into devscripts.

I think this is the way forward, and even more: such a wrapper
should ideally map the workflow in used by other distros. I have
recently met with Fedora people at LCA and we basically came to the
conclusion that we not only do the same stuff, but we also have
a one-to-one mapping between our packaging workflows. And Fedora is,
just like Debian, running up against the limits of the workflow(s)
in use, so what better time to rethink it now and *together*?

  http://madduck.net/blog/2008.01.29:consolidating-packaging-workflows-across-distros

I really want to see Debian spearhead cross-distro efforts and
I intend to allocate some time to this. I am still writing this up
elsewhere, so stay tuned for more information on this from me.

Interested people might want to sign up to my vcs-pkg mailing list,
which I am designating as the discussion forum for such efforts
until a better one comes along.

"i can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. there
 is something unfair about its use. it is hitting below the
 intellect."
                                                        -- oscar wilde