Re: [proposal] Documenting which revision is installed

* Martin Zobel-Helas [Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:33:17 +0100]:

> Hi,

Hi.

I personally have nothing against. However, remembering the thread at
[1], I'm not sure what the base-files maintainer will think of that.

  [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/05/msg01138.html

*Personally*, I like the idea of Javier Fernández-Sanguino expressed in
the mail linked above of keeping debian_version as is, and introducing
/etc/lsb-release with detailed information like:

  DISTRIB_ID=Debian
  DISTRIB_RELEASE=4.0
  DISTRIB_CODENAME=etch
  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 'etch'"

I think this file would ideally live in the base-files package as well,
but: for this file to be meaningful, it would have to have three
branches, one uploaded via sid, another via t-p-u, and another via
s-p-u. And the base-files maintainer actually objects to maintaining
base-files in other flow that is not the normal flow for a package
(unstable->testing->stable).

For all this, I'm suggesting the creation of a new package (say,
release-info) containing that sole file, hopefully Priority: required.
If nobody objects, I would like to maintain it. (I'll file an ITP if
there's no strong opposition here; there wasn't any when I proposed the
same back in June in the above thread.)

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
                -- Ken Thompson