Re: why does ubuntu cripple alsa?!?

True, I *can* install debian, except that I was trying to use Etch,
and etch's installer crashed in the middle of its process, leaving me
with an un-bootable system, due to the recent-ness of my computer. I
didn't try Lenny yet on this laptop (dell D630) so I don't know if
this problem was fixed, but knoppix and etch both don't work.

Anyway, I read up some more on bugs.ubuntu.com

https://bugs.launchpad.net/alsa-utils/+bug/29597

This bug explains what's going on with alsaconf.