Re: Syslog file paths in 'metalog'? (#423299)

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 12:07:34AM +0100, Milan P. Stanic wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 01:42:02PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > I think I agree to that. Thus I will request the removal of the package
> > until metalog will one day be more configurable and allow to mimic other
> > syslog daemons' file schemes.
>
> I'm using metalog on some of the servers so I would like it to remain in
> Debian. I can maintain it if someone want to sponsor me.

The problem is not that I'm too lazy to maintain the package. It is just
not a useful replacement for other syslog daemons because the file names
that metalog writes to are not configurable. Imagine you used the
sysklogd and now replace it by metalog. Then you will get a mess in
/var/log/* because metalog can't write mail log entries to e.g.
/var/log/mail.log. I have contacted the upstream about it but didn't get
a reply so far. I don't intend to say that metalog is not a good piece
of software. But it doesn't fulfil the role of a
"linux-kernel-log-daemon" (virtual package).

Perhaps in the future metalog will be better configurable. Let me know
if you get somewhere with the upstream.

Kindly
 Christoph
--
email@christoph-haas.de  www.workaround.org   JID: chrish@jabber.workaround.org
gpg key: 79CC6586         fingerprint: 9B26F48E6F2B0A3F7E33E6B7095E77C579CC6586