Re: Syslog file paths in 'metalog'? (#423299)

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 01:42:02PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 01:11:32PM -0500, Kris Deugau wrote:
> > Mmmh.  Strictly speaking, sysklogd logs mail to /var/log/mail.log, along
> > with duplicating (!!) much of the content to (IIRC) /var/log/messages and
> > /var/log/mail.{err,info,warn}. .0, .1.gz, etc are created by the
> > non-logrotate widget Debian uses for rotating system logs.
> >
> > In general, I would say as a sysadmin that any syslog daemon that does not
> > allow me to configure any given log facility and priority to (at least!) an
> > arbitrary file wherever I want it is inherently broken.

What do you mean by "configure any given log facility and priority to an
arbitrary file"?

Metalog can be configured to log given log facility and priority to an
arbitrary directory, but (yes) not to file.

> I think I agree to that. Thus I will request the removal of the package
> until metalog will one day be more configurable and allow to mimic other
> syslog daemons' file schemes.

I'm using metalog on some of the servers so I would like it to remain in
Debian. I can maintain it if someone want to sponsor me.

Best regards