Re: Syslog file paths in 'metalog'? (#423299)

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 01:11:32PM -0500, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Christoph Haas wrote:
>> At work we are using syslog-ng a lot and it's very useful for a central
>> logging server. However I don't like the syntax because it's verbose and
>> typo-prone. So I was looking at metalog and seeing it orphaned I decided
>> to adopt it (#423299). I've started bringing the package into good shape
>> again. There is just an issue with the paths and files where metalog
>> writes syslog informaton to. The difference to the sysklogd...
>>
>> sysklogd:
>> /var/log/mail.log
>> /var/log/mail.log.0
>> /var/log/mail.log.1.gz
>> /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
>
> Mmmh.  Strictly speaking, sysklogd logs mail to /var/log/mail.log, along
> with duplicating (!!) much of the content to (IIRC) /var/log/messages and
> /var/log/mail.{err,info,warn}. .0, .1.gz, etc are created by the
> non-logrotate widget Debian uses for rotating system logs.
>
> In general, I would say as a sysadmin that any syslog daemon that does not
> allow me to configure any given log facility and priority to (at least!) an
> arbitrary file wherever I want it is inherently broken.

I think I agree to that. Thus I will request the removal of the package
until metalog will one day be more configurable and allow to mimic other
syslog daemons' file schemes.

Thanks you all for your feedback.

Cheers
 Christoph
--
email@christoph-haas.de  www.workaround.org   JID: chrish@jabber.workaround.org
gpg key: 79CC6586         fingerprint: 9B26F48E6F2B0A3F7E33E6B7095E77C579CC6586