Re: Please don't list available translations in the package description

cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> Almost no packages currently do this, hence relying on the package
> description to check wether a package is localized for your language is
> completely unreliable.

Agreed.

> For a list of localised packages check http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/
> for your language, true it only cover's gettext localisations but that's
> 99% of all localisation in free software anyway (this misses some localised
> webapps but that's about it AFAIK)
>
> For a specific package you can also use apt-file or packages.debian.org to
> check for the presence of a <lang-code>.po file for your language.

These are hardly practical solutions from a user perspective, even
though they are very helpful for developers.

What I meant is that I believe in the need for a way to tell users which
languages the package they intend to install supports (which doesn't
include greping for the package in a separate huge list of for files in
the source ;-) )

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes