Re: What to do when the LaTeX sources are missing, but an XML equivalent was rewritten from scratch ?

Hi all,

this is a nice and good discussion, I want to link in because there are
other things awaiting here ...

On Mo, 19 Nov 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Now that I have a XML source that is almost equivalent to the latex one,
> I could generate html, pdf and ps replacements to the existing
> documentation and distribute them in the binariy Debian package. Of
> course the best would be that upstream provide the LaTeX source or
> accept the XML ones, but I got no answer from him.

I would suggest:
- remove the upstream .pdf
- include your .xml and the generated pdf

Other questions arising from this:
What if upstream ships a pdf AND the source, but the generation of the
pdf relies on not-available fonts.

I would still ship this pdf into my Debian package out of the following
reasons:
- the source is present, no freedom is taken: The document is present,
  the source code.
- the pdf can be regenerated albeit with minor quality.
- shipping the higher quality document helps the user more than shipping
  a lower quality document

Is this something which would be accepted?

Best wishes

Norbert

POONA (n.)
Satisfied grunting noise made when sitting back after a good meal.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff