Re: migration and installation 50 THOUSAND machines

Hi,

> As PART of a study about using Debian GNU / Linux for a massive deployment from 5 thousand
> up to 50 thousand machines (desktops AND servers) geographically distributed across a country,

[...]

> Do you have some url more suitable for reading?
> The similar sized and profile Debian deployment I can remember is Munich [4], [5].

Exactly, that's why I'd also recommend the tools they're using there:
- FAI: http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
- GOsa: http://www.gosa-project.org/ (which not only provides a user
management but also ways to configure and deploy machines using FAI)
Please not that I didn't test them on such a large system personally,
but I'm pretty sure thy can handle it.

For monitoring there're several tools available, like nagios, cacti,
zenoss (will be soon in Debian, but you need to enterprise version to
handle 50000 computers in _one_ frontend) and several other opensource
and commercial systems - but I'm not sure which one is capable to handle
so many hosts.

Cheers,

Bernd

--