Re: migration and installation 50 THOUSAND machines

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 05:58:16PM -0700, andremachado wrote:
> Please, verify if a relevant tool is missing or if there are errors and or omissions.

well, as one of the FAI developers I must say that it is _very_ well suited for
system management (using the "softupdate" feature and a SCM like cvs or svn
to store the configuration...). I am using it in a team to administrate
something like 300 machines (ok, not as big as your intended setup...), and
this since early 2002 in a very heterogenous environment (servers, desktops,
hpc cluster nodes are reading the same configuration space, distinguished by
different sets of classes). Softupdates are mass-deployed in our case using a
perl/curses frontend I hacked together called fai-updater [1].
In my experience, a FAI setup like this scales quite well (although the
updating frontend FAI-updater would need some improvements to scale better).

[1] http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Fai-updater

--
c u
henning