Re: Testing parallel builds

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 02:30:53PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   I still believe that you should not file such bugs, I still fail to
> see how it improves debian, as if we really need to build more packages
> at the same time, we could run many sbuild instances on the same
> machine.

It isn't about building more than one package, it is about building one
package faster. And I really think that even for mid-size packages this
can make a lot of difference. Especially if you have a processor like my
Core Duo 1.2 GHz ULV which isn't really fast to begin with.

For multi-processor buildds more than one sbuild might indeed be better
and more robust than using dpkg-buildpackage -j, but for developers'
desktops and notebooks I really think it is a nice thing to have.

And I fail to see the harm done by filing wishlist bugs about that.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/