Re: Testing parallel builds

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 10:53:05AM +0000, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> Inspired by today's new upload of dpkg, I'm going to try doing a rebuild of
> the archive using "dpkg-buildpackage -j3" and submit bugs as I find them.
> The bugs will be wishlist for now, and I'll assign usertag
> schepler@math.unipd.it:ftbfs-parallel to those bug reports for those
> interested in tracking the issue.

  Err please just don't. Many upstreams won't build properly with
parallel builds because their makefile just don't support it. Most
importantly, I believe that only the biggest packages benefit from a
parallel build, hence it should be an opt-in option that packagers may
use if their package support it, and if they believe it matters
(packages where build time is under the few minutes won't benefit from
it a lot e.g., as it's probable that most of the time is lost in the
configure and Debianization stages).

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit