Re: User-Agent strings, privacy and Debian browsers

On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:59 PM, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:

Joey Hess wrote:
Surely packages.debian.org is not a good example of a site with
generally few Debian users.

The scenario seems more likely to me on small non-technical sites that only a few Debian unstable users are likely to visit. For special fun,
try browsing from an unusual architecture; that's in the user-agent
string too.

http://linuxreviews.org/news/2005/01/28_0001/

This is most likely apocryphal. If there is any truth in the above link, it has been blown way out of proportion. Nobody gets arrested for using lynx, which is what that link says. There is little evidence to corroborate the story so I would dismiss this as a red herring.

	Jeremiah