configure script cannot find doc/goops/Makefile.in

Dont know whether debian-user or debian-devel is appropriate for this kind
of question. Trying my luck here first...

When I run the configure script of guile 1.8.2+1 on Debian Sid, the
configure script stops with the following error.

$ ./configure

config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating am/Makefile
config.status: creating benchmark-suite/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file: doc/goops/Makefile.in

When asked on guile-user mailing list, I was told the problem is Debian
specific. Hence I am asking here. Is this a bug in guile?

Despite this problem, the package actually builds fine with
$fakeroot debian/rules build

thanks
raju

--