Upstream bugs in Debian BTS [was: Firefox bugs mass-closed.]

> As a maintainer and a user, I have often wondered lately if the practice of
> tracking numerous upstream bugs in the Debian BTS is something that should
> be ended.

Please don't.

I always ask my downstream DDs to forward bugs to me together with the
Debian bug number, and to leave the bug open until it is fixed in the
Debian version.  (I also try to drop a note to the Debian BTS when the
bug is closed upstream, indicating the upstream version or changeset.)

From an upstream maintainer's point of view, a bug report forwarded
From the Debian BTS has particular value.  For a start, it has been
read, and sometimes reproduced, by your friendly DD[1].  Second, the
DD may have thought about it -- there's a good chance he'll provide
you with a hint or two.  And third, it usually comes with precise
version information.

If upstream bugs from the Debian BTS are not being attended properly,
then somebody f*cked up, either the DD or the upstream maintainer.

                                        Juliusz

[1] DDs actually are friendly, they just express their friendliness
    differently from the rest of us ;-)