Re: Firefox bugs mass-closed.

Quoting Pierre Habouzit (madcoder@debian.org):

>   FWIW I don't think a ping should threaten to close the bug. That is
> wrong.

Threaten, no. Suggest that it could be closed, yes.

I personnally assume the concept of being pretty "aggressive" wrt bugs
in packages that have a non manageable amount of bugs (above a few
dozens per package maintainer is my own definition of manageable).

In such situations, it becomes completely impossible to focus on
issues that may deserve attention, for instance identifying issues
that deserve to be reported upstream.

So, well, despite all arguments developed by Joey in this thread, I
still think that mass pings can really help maintainers in their work,
particularly when someone takes over a package that has been neglected
for some time.

And, well, this is IIRC something we decided in a very recent D-I
meeting for all old installation reports, suggesting to reproduce
possible issues with the Etch installer, as we know we will never be
able to identify reported issues, nor even identifiy what bugs report
issues.

So, in short, I would leave maintainers with the credit that they will
conduct such actions only in cases they needed and useful *and* with
the appropriate care , just like any mass action.