Passing of DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

In trying to squash a nostrip bug, I found that the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS
variable did not work when building with pdebuild.  I tried several
things as suggested on IRC, including using -- and --pbuilder-opts to
pass --debbuildopts '--set-envvar DEB_BUILD_OPTS=nostrip'.  None of
these things worked.  It only finally worked when I used plain
'DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage'.  Additionally,
the DEBBUILDOPTS variable in ~/.pbuilderrc did not help either.

Have I overlooked something.  Is there an option or something that I
missed?

Regards,

-Roberto

--