Building packages three times in a row

Hi,

as a QA effort the whole archive was rebuilt over the weekend to catch
build-failures, whether a package can be build three tmes in a row (unpack,
build, clean, build,clean, build).
This is the second effort to get rid of those issues. The first effort was
announced by Martin-Zobel Helas on 16 May 2007 [0].

We found again about 400 packages not having a sane clean target.

To cite
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules

clean

    This must undo any effects that the build and binary targets may
have had, except that it should leave alone any output files created
in the parent directory by a run of a binary target.

We'll fill bug reports against every package that FTBFS in this way with
Severity: Important.

Furthermore we detect some issues with different package content (compared
to the first build) after the second and third build. This bugs will have
Severity: Serious.

You'll find after we at the end all filled bugs either here [1] or here
[2].

Please note that building a package twice in a row is a release goal for
lenny.

Greetings
Patrick Winnertz

[0]:http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/05/msg00490.html