Re: Short report on Debian at UseR! 2007 conference at Iowa State Univ.

Dirk Eddelbuettel dijo [Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 09:26:31PM -0500]:

> UseR! 2007 at Iowa State University, Ames, IA, August 8-10, 2007
> (...)

Wow - Congratulations, this paper is quite interesting to me - partly
because next week I will be presenting one quite similar to it ;-)

http://vienna.yapceurope.org/ye2007/talk/513
http://people.debian.org/~gwolf/integrating_perl_in_distro.pdf

Of course, the approach the pkg-perl group has taken is quite
different. We have adopted a tool (dh-make-perl) similar to what you
discuss, using CPAN's CPAN.pm module for the CPAN-updating part
(AFAICT, equivalent to your r_pkg_update.pl), and takes care of
basically extracting each module's metadata and building its package.

Although some users have requested this functionality (and we even
have a patch available implementing it), I have resisted the
temptation of introducing an infrastructure-generating module -
dh-make-perl deals only with individual packages. This is because I
strongly oppose blindly generating packages, even if CPAN's quality is
also quite acceptable and sanity tests are carried out.

Anyway... I will take a closer look to your presentation (I only
skimmed it) - Thanks for sharing!

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23