Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

On 8/9/07, Luis Matos <gass@otiliamatos.ath.cx> wrote:
> Qui, 2007-08-09 às 14:10 +0200, Michael Banck escreveu:
> > >
> > > I think we need to have multiple desktop tasks. One desktop-simple,
> > > desktop-multimedia-support, etc
> > > This would also simplify the use of tasks to enhance the desktop, like
> > > desktop-c-gtk-devel, desktop-python-gtk-devel, desktop-php-devel
> >
> > As long as those are not exposed to the user at installation - fine; for
> > installation, we should have exactly one desktop task per environment,
> > and that should installed whatever is needed to give a rather complete
> > desktop experience, IMHO.
>
> i think that beside the expansion of tasks, the "after install" tasksel
> should be improved.
>
> if we can install a simple desktop and then have some place that the
> user can access to install more stuff and easily expand it's
> environment.
>
> having a console tasksel is not enough ... someone was developing a gtk+
> front end ... right?

gnome-tasksel was ancient code that I've adopted and asked its
removal. You've the tasksel GNOME debconf frontend as cited by Joey
Hess and synaptic. I think that the synaptic UI for tasks should be
better, but I would like to focus on some task changes before jump on
that or even add task support into gnome-app-install that would look
cool if we attribute icons for every task (#376635) in a way that it
will work for g-a-i, synaptic, and GNOME debconf frontend including
d-i.

regards,

-- stratus
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com