needs=vc as menu field useful and needed?

Hi,
I recently stumbled upon the needs="vc" field for debian menu
files.

The menu manual says the following about them:

     3.   `vc': if it runs under a linux virtual console but not under a X
          terminal emulator.

Currently we have 27 _programs_ using this special field. I asked myself why
a user wants to have a program that can't run under no circumstances under X
in a menu under X.

The packages using needs=vc with debtags information:

aatv:          Tag: game::toys, hardware::video, implemented-in::c, interface::commandline, interface::text-mode, role::program, scope::utility, use::viewing, works-with::video
apple2:        Tag: hardware::emulation
aumix-gtk:     Tag: implemented-in::c, interface::x11, role::program, scope::utility, sound::mixer, uitoolkit::gtk, uitoolkit::ncurses, works-with::audio, x11::application
bsdgames:      not tagged
c3270:         Tag: uitoolkit::ncurses
cadubi:        Tag: use::editing
chdrv:         Tag: culture::chinese, culture::taiwanese
cthugha:       Tag: sound::player, uitoolkit::athena, uitoolkit::ncurses
dvifb:         Tag: interface::framebuffer, role::program, scope::utility, use::viewing, works-with::text, works-with-format::dvi
dvisvga:       Tag: interface::svga, role::program, scope::utility, use::viewing, works-with::text, works-with-format::dvi
fbtv:          Tag: interface::framebuffer, role::program, scope::utility, uitoolkit::ncurses, use::viewing, works-with::video
fte-console:   not tagged
heroes-ggi:    Tag: game::arcade, interface::x11, role::program, use::gameplaying, x11::application
heroes-sdl:    Tag: game::arcade, interface::x11, role::program, uitoolkit::sdl, use::gameplaying, x11::application
libggi-samples:Tag: devel::examples, devel::library, interface::x11, role::program, scope::utility, uitoolkit::ncurses, x11::library
luxman:        Tag: game::arcade, interface::svga, interface::x11, role::program, use::gameplaying, x11::application
lxdoom-svga:   Tag: game::arcade, interface::3d, role::program, use::gameplaying
pinball:       Tag: game::simulation, implemented-in::c++, interface::x11, role::program, uitoolkit::ncurses, uitoolkit::sdl, use::gameplaying, x11::application
prboom:        Tag: game::arcade, interface::3d, role::program, uitoolkit::sdl, use::gameplaying, x11::application
psmisc:        Tag: interface::text-mode, role::program, scope::utility, uitoolkit::ncurses, works-with::software:running
sabre:         Tag: game::arcade, interface::3d, interface::x11, role::program, uitoolkit::ncurses, use::gameplaying, x11::application
scheme48:      not tagged
svncviewer:    Tag: interface::svga, network::client, role::program, use::login, use::viewing
synaesthesia:  Tag: game::demos, interface::x11, sound::player, uitoolkit::sdl, use::viewing, works-with::audio, x11::application
thrust:        Tag: game::arcade, interface::svga, junior::arcade, role::program, use::gameplaying

When looking at the tags it doesn't look like the programs can't run in an X
terminal. I tried worms from bsdgames, cadubi and pinball (randomly picked) and they all
worked flawless in my aterm.

So even if I missed some packages that really don't run under X, what's the purpose
of having them in the user menu and is there really still a need for needs="vc"?
Should it be removed? Opinions, do I miss something?

Kind regards
Nico

--
Nico Golde - http://ngolde.de - nion@jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF