Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:40:28PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Bill, you haven't participated in this discussion, what's your opinion?
> Would you like to do that work?

I stated my opinion an hundred time already, here a quick summary:

1) There is a place for two menu structure in Debian: an omnibus one
(Debian menu) and a Desktop-oriented one (XDG menu) where only
desktop relevant apps would be mentioned.

2) The XDG menu entries suffers from lack of clear policy about what
software should go in the menu and in which categories.
For example should asciijump provide a .desktop file ? xdvi ? gv ?
lilo ? etc.

3) The XDG menu entries suffers from general lack on maintainance.  A
lot of upstream-provided ".desktop" files outside native KDE/GNOME
packages are wrong, and never fixed. At the very least compliance with
the standard should be checked.

4) Bugs with Debian menu under GNOME were actually bugs in the XDG menu
implementation in GNOME. The KDE implementation was much better. Blaming
Debian menu for them is unfair.

5) There are dozen of ways to not display the Debian menu under GNOME.
What is lacking is an easy interface beside "do not install menu".
Maybe the d-i team could propose an interface and I will see how it
can be implemented.

> Would it be helpful to have the technical committee decide on this
> topic?

It would not. Instead please write a policy about what softwares
are worthy to appear in the XDG menu and get it accepted by the
debian-desktop participants, and start to report bugs.

I am not interested in maintaining the XDG menu myself. I do not use
desktop environment. I am interested to maintain Debian menu, however.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.