Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

> No - because the default is already in place in aptitude which is WHY I
> don't use aptitude. If apt goes the same way, the default configuration
> of each offers no choice.
>
> By the time I get a chance to switch that option off, the installation
> has added loads of JUNK that I do NOT want.

but when aptitude came up with that setting a lot of Recommends: should
have been in Suggests: instead. I think it's a really good idea to
install Recommends: by default, but the Maintainers may not mess with it.
For example you ahve package foo which needs package bar in 99% of the
cases, but you want to allow people to replace bar byt something else,
probably on a remote machine - so they don't need to install bar on the
machine with foo - imho that's a pretty common thing.

But indeed, Recommends: needs a major cleanup before the switch happens.
Also a d-i or debconf question while installing the system would be
really appreciated, as I do not want to install the recommended packages
on all systems, but on most.

Cheers,

Bernd
--