Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Russ Allbery wrote:
> A related question that I've been wanting to ask for a while:  is it
> possible to automatically generate desktop files from the menu files?

Yes, that's how Gnome and KDE get the Debian menu items in their menus.
:-) See /etc/menu-methods/xdg-desktop-entry-spec-apps and
/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg

(On my system, FWIW, I have 239 .desktop files in
/usr/share/applications and 715 in /var. So most Debian packages arn't
including redundant .desktop files yet -- although I see a lot of
desktop-agnostic ones like xterm and xmms that already do.

> If not, should we be enhancing the menu format so that we can?

There are probably enhancements that would let it create _better_
.desktop files. For example, ones with translations..

--
see shy jo