Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Andreas Tille wrote:
>> Removing the package from Debian will not affect current users that
>> much,
> While I perfectly agree that there are replacements for xmms that at
> first view look like a new version  (for instnce audacious) many user
> might have links form their desktops or other hooks that just call
> /usr/bin/xmms.  So this might affect a lot of users and especially
> those users that have no idea how to cope with a missing xmms in their
> PATH.  IMHO the only way to fix this is to provide a transitional
> package that for instance depends from audacious (or other clones),
> provides xmms and conflict with older xmms versions and install a
> symlink to the replacement.

Those herding xmms symlinks on their desktop should be fully expected to
have xmms already installed and we are not forcing them to change that.
There is no added value in leaving an effectively unmaintained version
in the archive.

Kind regards

T.
--