Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> writes:

> I suggest that we prepare a wikipage on wiki.debian.org with a
> friendly formulated bugreport template. After this template is
> mature enough, we can start writing wishlist bugreports on packages
> making wrong use SI prefixes (e.g. write KB but mean KiB) asking
> them to consider to switch to binary prefixes instead.

Done, <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/ConsistentUnitPrefixes>. Please
modify the bug report as needed; currently I think it may be a bit too
wordy, but lack the skill to pare it down without losing necessary
explanation or examples.

> We should not urge to use either binary prefixes or SI prefixes
> consistently in all packages! Instead we should urge to use the
> prefixes *correctly*. When 1k means 1000 Bytes, it is OK to use it
> -- when it means 1024 they, should make the switch to binary
> prefixes.

Agreed, this is the approach I've taken in the bug report.

--
 \     "I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." |
  `\                                                   -- Groucho Marx |