Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 08:45:13PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> The meaning of 1 TB is approximate only for approximate people. I'd
> expect more rigor from people working in computer science (if we can
> call it a science).

... and since most Debian users are not computer scientists, Scott is
right.

Yesterday my collegue asked me how much storage a server has that we
bought from some project money, and he had to write a report. When I
told him "931 MiB", he said "No, I want a number like 1T or 2T" (and he
has an IT degree, although not CS in the strict sense). That's how
people think, and if you do not acknowledge that, you're living outside
of reality.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences