Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

Luis Matos wrote:

> Qua, 2007-06-13 às 18:09 -0400, Felipe Sateler escreveu:
>> Installing a newer kernel is not an upgrade, in a sense. You are
>> installing new software alongside the old one. Thus the usual
>> expectations don't hold.
>
> the usual expectation that i have with a new kernel is to improve my
> operating system ... that includes no regressions on supporting my
> hardware - for example, wifi or graphic card.

But it doesn't hold, since you are actually installing a _new_ package, not
upgrading an existing.

>> PS: I do agree that it would be nice if there was a way to automatically
>> bring in the modules you are using for the new version, or at least warn,
>> but I can't seem to figure out a nice and elegant way of doing that. And
>> no, more people using testing won't fix this issue either.
>
> what about checking the *-modules-2.6.A packages available and compare
> them with the previous version?

That would live everyone waiting for the every module to be ready, of which
they may not be using some.

> if the count of both are equal, then kernel *and* modules can go into
> testing. If, for some reason a module is not available or cannot migrate
> into testing, kernel would not migrate.

Note that independent of wether modules are in testing or not, upgrading a
kernel *won't* install the modules (out of tree modules, that is). You
still have to install them by hand. That is what I was referring to.

--

  Felipe Sateler