Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

Steinar H Gunderson <sgunderson@bigfoot.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 03:00:15PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Many non-free drivers (and some free drivers, for that matter) are
>> never automatically built at the moment, although with the new
>> mechanism for building modules in main, hopefully that number will drop
>> over time for the free ones.

> Could you please elaborate on this mechanism, or point to an URL? (If
> it's been discussed here and I just missed it, I apologize -- I skip
> most of -devel these days :-) )

http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linux-modules-contrib-2.6.html

My understanding of the goal is that this package will build-depend on the
source packages of all the free external drivers that can support this
sort of automated build and then only the linux-modules-contrib
maintainers have to deal with the ever-changing exact list of kernel
versions for which modules should be built.

I don't know how far along this is yet.