Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

Luis Matos wrote:

> Qua, 2007-06-13 às 14:16 -0700, Russ Allbery escreveu:
>> Luis Matos <gass@otiliamatos.ath.cx> writes:
>>
>> > but why should I??? this goes against the "testing is always *WORKING*"
>> > phrase. TESTING IS NOT ALWAYS WORKING.
>>
>> Having to use module-assistant != not working.
>
> having a working system *with* only debian *oficial* packages and then
> after an upgrade that system stops working properly, i call it a
> regression ...

Installing a newer kernel is not an upgrade, in a sense. You are installing
new software alongside the old one. Thus the usual expectations don't hold.

PS: I do agree that it would be nice if there was a way to automatically
bring in the modules you are using for the new version, or at least warn,
but I can't seem to figure out a nice and elegant way of doing that. And
no, more people using testing won't fix this issue either.

--

  Felipe Sateler