Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

Qua, 2007-06-13 às 12:39 +0200, Gabor Gombas escreveu:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:28:52AM +0100, Luis Matos wrote:
>
> > kernel upgrades from 2.6.50 to 2.6.51 ... nvidia packages don't build in
> > time (they are not free, right?) ... kernel passes to testing ...
> > automatically, the nvidia-module-2.6.50 uses 2.6.50 and not *.51, so ...
> > after a reboot, my xorg server will not run... when it used to.
>
> Then create an empty nvidia-module package that depends on the latest
> nvidia-module-X.Y.Z package and conflicts with linux-image-$ARCH >> X.Y.Z.
> Just because you're using non-free kernel modules does not mean that
> everyone else _not_ using those modules should be penalized.

but why should I??? this goes against the "testing is always *WORKING*"
phrase. TESTING IS NOT ALWAYS WORKING.

you had the example with nvidia modules, what about wifi modules ...
what about ... camera modules (i think they are all in the same source
package now).
They all BREAK in this case. How many of debian developers and
contributors use these modules?

> Or alternatively, just reboot with the old kernel just like you'd do
> when you found out that any random driver you happen depend on stops
> working in the new kernel version.

that is an *extreme* situation ... when there is  BUG in the
software ... not just because some package entered testing and broke
your system.

> Gabor

cheers,
Luis Matos