Re: APT 0.7 for sid

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Please never make it a default. Humans make errors and I never want packages

Recommends *are* to be installed by default, unless you specifically tell
the tool not to. This is the whole point, one that has been broken for a
few *years* now and has caused problems to everyone for that long.

It is high time to either remove apt-get, or to just damn fix it to actually
do what it is supposed to do.   apt-get can't continue living on as a
"mostly debug tool" when it is used everywhere as a main admin tool.
Heck, some misguided soul even made a slogan out of it ("apt-get into it")
to promote Debian.  Let's fix the damn thing already.

I am sick of telling users that "you did not install a recommended package,
that's why it is not working as you expect it to", because they use broken
package managers.

> usefull on desktops) so just integrate some kind of button in synaptic & co,

synaptic & co are also broken in a very bad way if they do not offer to
install recommends by default (and broken in a very bad usability way if you
can't tell them that no, you don't want that recommended package installed).
Just fix them.  dselect was fixed a long time ago, and aptitude does this
right since day one (AFAIK anyway).

  Henrique Holschuh