Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Le mardi 12 juin 2007 à 03:43 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez a écrit :
> What are you talking about?  We all know that the *precise* meaning of
> kilo is 1000.  The point is that the term was also co-opted, since there
> was not a better term.  If you are talking about a contract, I would
> expect that the *precise* meanings of words are being used, along with
> definitions of any words where there could be ambiguity.

When I use a computer program, I don't want to wonder whether it uses
precise units or approximate ones. A computer is a damn stupid machine
and it will never know whether I need precision. Which is why it should
*always* do things the precise way.

> Why do you think that the marketing materials for most hard drives
> include the note that 1 GB = 1 000 000 000 bytes?

Maybe because they are sold in the US, one of the 3 countries where SI
units are not standard?

--
 .''`.