Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 02:32:35PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > No, I hate that convention. K and k should only ever refer to 1024.
>
> > /me waits for the day measuring jugs are graduated in powers of two,
> > just to please a group of hackers who don't like SI units.
>
> Shall I bring you a half gallon of milk to Scotland, then?
>
> "Pff, base 10, the metric system is so archaic"

The US gallon being the Queen Anne period wine gallon or 0.83
gallons? I'll stick to Imperial thanks - four pints will be fine in
anywhere in Scotland/England/Ireland/Wales and I'll get slightly more :)

Fuel consumption in UK is defined as relative to the (Imperial)
gallon: the Spanish Empire,of course, did far better - in a good year
they got several thousand miles to the galleon :)

Andy

K or k in a computer context, is, OF COURSE, 1024 :)